Historic Buildings of King’s Lynn, page two
Red Mount Chapel (1485)
Grade 1 listed building.
The Red Mount Chapel is a truly unique building in that there are no other comparable examples.
Built as a wayside shrine for Pilgrims on their way to Walsingham and Norwich, it flourished until Henry VIII’s dissolution of 1547. However because of a legal technicality, it being sited on common ground outside of the town wall but inside the defensive bank, it could not be demolished. Instead it was stripped to dereliction and led a precarious life up until Victorian times when the area around it became a park. This picture was taken in Sept 2008 just after refurbishment of the main structure and reconstruction of the, long buried, lower pilgrim entrance. It was also the first time the chapel had been opened to the public. Previously it could only be viewed by special permission. The chapel is now open to the public on Saturdays and Wednesday’s during May till August and also on Heritage Open day in September
Hanseatic Warehouse: (1475)
This is the only surviving Hanseatic warehouse in England. It was renovated in 1971. It was used, until quite recently, as the towns registry office by the Norfolk County Council. A new use for it is now being sought.
Built around 1605-
The Greenland Fishery is a ‘transition’ building in that both old and new building methods were used in its construction. It has a typically medieval timber structure, but also has brick gable ends incorporating chimney stacks for internal fire places. The Greenland Fishery is so called because it was once a whaler’s tavern serving the men from the nearby Greenland company of whaling ships, which were based nearby from 1774 to 1821.
In one of the upper rooms there are remnants of Jacobean wall paintings. One of
the fragments depicts a scene from Luke 16:19-
This photo was taken during the Heritage Buildings Open Day on the 14th of September 2008.
The Guildhall of St. George is The largest surviving medieval Guildhall in England and is reputed to be the oldest theatre in Europe. This Grade 2 listed building is owned by the National Trust and leased to the Council.
The Undercroft is now Crofters cafe.
The King’s Lynn Arts Centre is open daily.
Guildhall of St. George: (1406) King’s Street.
Built in 1406 for the Guild of St. George (founded 1376) it consisted of an upper hall (107ft long and 29ft wide) with a long undercroft which extended out to the river. The upper hall was used by its members for their quarterly Guild meetings, various ceremonies, dinners and occasional plays, whilst the undercroft was used for the importing and exporting of goods via its river gate. As well as being an organisation promoting the work and standards of its trades and professions, the Guild was also a focus of spiritual and temporal life. The Guild also provided money to maintain the town walls, the river banks and paid pensions to poverty-